Friday, September 21, 2007

All Aboard the Soul Train Express!!



Whats shakin, Old Skoolers?!

I know, I know its been awhile since my last Old Skool Time Travel. Truth be told, my old (t)rusty Time Machine has been at my uncle Lester's shop for some repairs. Never fear, though! I hopped back in the time traveling saddle last night.

I knew this ride was gonna be a funkadelic one when I heard none other than the P-Funkalicious music of George Clinton w/Parliament blasting through the Time Machine's speakers.
"You've got a real type of thing going down, gettin' down
There's a whole lot of rhythm going round

Ow, we want the funk
Give up the funk
Ow, we need the funk
We gotta have that funk "

I jumped out of bed, hip to the groove! Upon hearing the music, Calvin hopped out of bed, and surrendered his funk, too! When we got into the Time Machine, I had to settle him down, (he was so busy boogying to the music) and make him strap on his seat belt. Midway through the ride, our pajamas morphed into radical threads with psychedelic colors, wispy fringes, skintight bell-bottoms, and sky scraping platform shoes! What a ride!

Suddenly, the smoke machine inside the Time Machine started gushing clouds, and at the request of the song, the Time Machine's roof was torn off (that counts for another week at uncle Lester's shop). We had landed on the legendary dance floor at SOOOUUUUUUULLLLLL TRAIN! There stood Don Cornelius, with his proud afro, hip suit, and familiar glasses! Don, and everyone else there was so busy getting down to the music, they didn't even notice that we had landed. We were actually on Soul Train, on October 1, 1977!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the Parliment song faded, Don grabbed his trusty mic, and in his best deep sexy voice said,
"Ladies and Gentlemen put your hands together and welcome to the stage three ladies of sophistication, style and soul... The Emotions!!!!"

I couldn't hide my excitement as I yelped, "DYNOMITE!"
I started clapping, and jumping around before the talented threesome even hit the stage! They began singing one of my favorite songs, REJOICE!! The song, their melodious, high pitched voices, took me to a far out place. I lost all control as my body moved and grooved to the music! Calvin, my dance partner was on the same high as me! Calvin wasn't gonna let those unfamiliar platforms stop him from moving to the music!
After a few more rhythmic selections, it was time for the Soul Train Scramble Board! (By this time, I'm very close to fainting from happiness!) Me and Calvin were chosen to answer one of the always easy questions. Don told us we had 60 seconds to unscramble the letters to reveal the name of a Dallas born soul singer who had orchestrated the sound track to the popular movie, The Mack. We placed the letters in all the right spots in just enough time to correctly answer, Willie Mack, and win a year's supply of Afro Sheen!!!

Next, it was time for my favorite part of the show! Me and Calvin sashayed on the sidelines as couples high stepped, booty bumped, and roboted down the Soul Train Line!!! This was the best part of the evening! All of the twosomes were perfectly in sync as they made their way down the infamous line! When it was our turn, I put to good use the Old Skool dances my mom took care to show me over the years, while Calvin was in step with me.

Old Skoolers, this was the best night ever! We had officially taken the hippest trip in America! After a few more lively performances, including the Emotions performing another hit, Best of My Love, Don Cornelius came to the center of the floor to recite his famous departing lines! This was it, Old Skoolers....LOVE, PEACE, and SOOOOUUUUULLLL!!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl! I was listening to P Funk the other day! Just the other day I had my iPod on in the bathroom and was jamming Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)--and for those of you thinking- no I didn't need help with the title- I GREW UP ON THESE PEOPLE!! :O) Happy that an 80's babies such as myself isn't alone on this one.