Tuesday, August 21, 2007

GREEN SMOOTHIES FOR CLEAR SKIN (AND A SMALLER WAISTLINE!)

Before I start, let me assure you, I am not preaching! I am just spreading the goodness of my newest health find.

A month ago, while parusing one of my favorite websites, I stumbled upon recipes, testimonials, and down-right excitement about Green Smoothies. I know, I know, Green Smoothies don't sound too appealing, but in the famous words of Tony the Tiger, "THEY'RE GREEAATT!"

Green Smoothies consist of your choice of green leafy veggies, (spinach, kale, celery, and parsley, etc) fruit, and water. You can tweak the ingredients to your liking, but these are the basics. You can also add natural, sugar free fruit juice, aloe vera juice, honey and cinnamon. My favorite smoothie combo includes: spinach, (about two large handfuls)water, ice, aloe vera juice, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and honey. Sounds like a lot, but each ingredient plays it's own role in beautifying your skin. The spinach alone provides numerous health benefits. By consuming these smoothies daily, I am drinking my required amount of fruits and veggies for the day. Don't get me wrong, I looove any and all fruits and veggies, minus bananas, and pears, but this just puts a fun spin on things!! I am excited for you, my readers and friends to give these smoothies a try. You can substitute breakfast or lunch with your smoothie.

In addition to clear, glowing skin, I have also noticed that I have more energy, I am in a better mood, and most importantly to me, I have lost weight! Below, I will include information that lists the health benefits of Popeye's veggie of choice, spinach. In addition to the added info, take notice of the smoothie combinations I have listed for your convenience. Be sure that use two large handfuls of your green leafy veggie! Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Spinach
When asked to name one of her favourite super foods, Toronto registered dietician Leslie Beck praises spinach. It's loaded with energy-promoting iron and folate, a B vitamin that prevents neural-tube defects in the fetus. It is also important in red blood cell formation, protein metabolism, growth and cell division. The leafy green is also one of the best sources of lutein, an antioxidant that benefits eye, skin and cardiovascular health.

Green Smoothie Combos:

Kale Spinach Celery Parsley
Peach Peach Blueberry Mango
Water Strawberry Strawberry Raspberry


Be creative, and please submit your own combos! Don't forget your hoeny, ice and water!

1 comment:

Cheri A'mour said...

thanks for the advice...i'll be sure to try it even though i must admit i'm worried about how it taste