Friday, August 24, 2007

A Night With the Black Panthers, Oh What A Night!


What it is, friends?

Sorry for not checking in with you all yesterday, I'm a little under the weather. I think I got a little cold from CHERI (yes you, CHECHE) when she stayed over with me for the weekend! Anyway, I'll be fine, but I'm gonna have to keep things short.

Last night's time travels took me for a long, intense ride. My time machine always manages to drop me off in the most fascinating places! You would never believe what I witnessed- a Black Panther meeting! There I stood, in early 1970's California among militant men and women who seemed to be the last African Americans who gave a damn about our communities, and our children.

Contrary to popular belief, everyone and everything at the meeting was calm and orderly. As I sat and listened to the leaders organize clothing drives for the poor brothers and sisters, speak about the free breakfast program they started in 1969 to feed our children, and employment opportunities, I felt a togetherness that I have never before known. Here, it seemed as though nobody was willing to watch his brother or sister be harmed, or go without food, clothing, or proper education. Unity was common theme. I left last night's meeting with a new sense of PRIDE, HONOR, and RESPECT for my people who not only fought for equality, but cherished the Black Family, safeguarded the community, and cultivated the youth.

DON'T SETTLE FOR THE VIOLENT PAINTING OF THE BLACK PANTHERS THE HISTORY BOOKS GIVE YOU. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.


As I left last night's meeting, I was given a sheet of paper, on it, The Black Child's Pledge. Read it, understand it, and imagine how well behaved the children were then.

The Black Child's Pledge


I pledge allegiance to my black people.

I pledge to develop my mind and body to the greatest extent possible.

I will learn all that I can in order to give my best to my People in their struggle for liberation.

I will keep myself physically fit, building a strong body free from drugs and other substances which weaken me and make me less capable of protecting myself, my family, and my Black brothers and sisters.

I will unselfishly share my knowledge and understanding with them in order to bring about change more quickly.

I will discipline myself to direct my energies thoughtfully and constructively rather than wasting them in idle hatred.

I will train myself never to hurt or allow others to harm my Black brothers and sisters, for I recognize that we need every Black Man, Woman and Child to be physically, mentally, and psychologically strong.

These principles I pledge to practice daily and to teach them to others in order to unite my People.



fist found on mises.org.

2 comments:

CoCo said...

SAY IT LOUD

Cheri A'mour said...

Great post and sorry about giving you the cold.... back to the subject at hand. Black panthers have been seen as the bad guy for many years but we need to teach our children that history is exactly that...HIS STORY...NOT OURS! White men write the books our children read in class rooms today...the same white men that put them in jails for crimes they did not commit and the same white man that created what we see in today's "ghetto". DO YOUR RESEARCH! Well written Thelma!